Walk Hand in Hand

Walk Hand in Hand

Thursday, February 17, 2011

What we see is not What we think

I looked outside my window saw the rain fall, heard bird sing and turned inside towards my laptop and wondered why the keys are arranged in that particular order, why not alphabetical order? and thought may be it helps us to type quickly. But i was so wrong.
The first machine was invented by Christopher Scholes in 1873, to improve calligraphy, but there was a problem: if a person typed very fast, the keys got struck together and stopped the machine working. Then Scholes designed QWERTY keyboard, a keyboard that would oblige typists to type more slowly. And the trend continued. I don't believe this but it's true. All these years I assumed it was the best layout in order for people to type quickly. I was so wrong. This shows that what we see is not always we understand there's lot to that.


Sorry if i gave an impression as if i am writing about nature, rains ;)

1 comment: